We returned to San Carlos, to Rhythm, in early December. We were delayed returning because we were waiting for our French Polynesian Visa and our passports. So to speed the boat launching process, we contacted the dry storage facility and asked them to move the boat to the work yard and begin the bottom paint job. We had hoped to be there during the process, but we also had a deadline of arrival in La Paz for January 1, and we wanted to enjoy some time on the water before that. Star Marine was able to finish the job just before our arrival. Then John replaced a seacock, tested the engine, and we launched.
Rhythm survived the summer with only a few minor problems: an oil container cracked and spilled into the bilge, a portlight cracked, and a few rubber things were worse for the wear (or the heat). Oh, and a few cockroaches made their way aboard. Apparently, they thought they would squat in our home while we were away. Thanks to our friends Peggy and Steve, we were prepared with boric acid and roach bait. So when we returned to our unwanted guests, they were on their backs, very dead.
We moved quickly unpacking and rerigged. John drove the truck back to the US. I finished making our boat a home again and stocked the frig. The final step on the morning of departure was to fill the water tanks for 3 weeks off the grid. But when we turned the tap on the dock, we discovered that we had no water. This WAS NOT going to be the reason we couldn't leave the marina that day. After all, conditions were nearly perfect for our 80-mile sail across the Sea of Cortez. So, we scurried to find a water supply truck. The man delivered the water in 10 galon jugs via hand-truck, I loaded them onto the boat, and John dumped them into the tanks. In about 30 minutes we were full up. And off we went!