1979 Pearson 424 For Sale
100+ current photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oNJfiQ5bMBrE1suh6
It is time for us to wrap up our cruise and pass Rhythm on to new owners. Rhythm is a 1974 Pearson 424, registered in the United States, currently in Australia, available now. We are actively cruising and living aboard, so contact us to arrange a showing:
Rhythm is an excellent cruising boat for a couple or a small family. She is easily managed single handed in most conditions. All topside teak has been replaced with Stainless Steel for easy maintenance. She has a huge cockpit for lounging and stretching out on night watches. The master berth is right next to the companionway stairs for quick access to the cockpit, and the V-berth is very roomy.
- 1979 Pearson 424
- Sloop Rig
- Fin Keel / Skeg hung rudder
- Length: 42'
- LOA: 47'
- Beam: 13'
- Draft: 5.5'
- Displacement: 23,000 lbs
- Diesel: 80 gal
- Water: 120 gal
- Holding Tank: 15 gal
Mechanical / Electrical
- Isuzu C-240 50 HP - 2400 hours. Rebuild November 2022. 300 engine hrs on rebuild.
- 90 amp alternator (November 2022)
- Racor fuel filter
- Racor fuel polisher
- Feathering MaxProp (propspeed applied November 2022)
- PSS pro shaft seal (November 2022)
- Vetus Bow Thruster
- Trace inverter/charger (wired for 12VDC and 110VAC)
- 2 x 245 Ah AGM batteries
- 400 W solar array
- 400 W wind generator
- Watermaker 20 gal/hr (dual voltage 110/220v plunger pump)
Rigging / Sails
- In-mast furling (gearbox replaced Nov 2019)
- Hood roller furling jib (2015)
- Standing Rigging (2015, aft lower shrouds Oct 2019)
- Chainplates: 2015
- Main and Genoa (2017)
- spare main and genoa
- 1 asym spinnaker
Nav & Comms
- Raymarine ST6000 autohelm
- Garmin GPSmap 743xsv (November 2022)
- Furuno 1621 Radar
- Standard Horizon VHF
- Iridium GO! w/external antenae
On Deck / Ground Tackle
- Stainless steel cap & grab rails
- Rocna 20kg
- 35 lb CQR
- 210' 5/16 chain
- Aluminum Stern Arch
- Canvas Dodger
- Canvas Bimini
- LED work lights
- LED anchor light
- LED tri-color light
- Fresh KiwiGrip non skid 2023.
- Large refrigerator with new compressor and evaporator plate in 2023.
- New 2 burner Force 10 stove in 2023.
- Large double sink with hot and cold pressurized water, filtered fresh water foot pump and salt water hand pump
- Zodiac 310 ALU w/canvas chaps (2016)
- 6hp Honda 4 stroke outboard (2022)
- 1600W inverter/generator
- Standup paddle board with 2 paddles
- Many spare parts included
- Many metric and imperial tools included
- Antifoul November 2022.
We began our extended cruise aboard Rhythm in Washington State and Canada in 2017. We cruised the west coast of the United States, into Mexico, through French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tonga, and finally to New Zealand at the end of 2019. We returned to the United States in 2020, and Rhythm spent the next 3 years sitting in a boat yard in Whangarei thanks to Covid border closures. After a minor refit during the extraordinarily wet NZ summer of 2023, we sailed North to Fiji. Unfortunately, we are out of time and need to return home.
Rhythm is well outfitted and dependable for her age. As is, she is well suited to cruising the NZ, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia circuit. However, most potential buyers will want to do a few upgrades and maintenance items before embarking on an extended multi-year cruise. For example:
- Hatches and port lights are watertight, but most are nearing end of life.
- A couple supports under the cabin sole need to be fortified
- Hull paint is getting old.
- Head liner is starting to crack in a few places.
- Cabin sole is hodgepodge of flooring types installed by a previous owner for reasons we don’t know.
- Seacocks for scuppers and cockpit drains are old bronze ball valves that have seized in the open position and should be replaced at the next haul out.
- Some wiring is getting old and and will need to be replaced soon.